Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Camp Loopy 2013 and a New Antique

Camp Loopy started on June first for all of us Loopy Groupies who love to knit with a purpose and a challenge.  For those of you unfamiliar, The Loopy Ewe is a shop in Colorado that sponsors a virtual summer camp for knitters.  You choose your project based upon the criteria described, purchase your yarn from the shop, and knit the project between the given dates (usually 30 days).  You then post your finished project at the website.  Those completing all 3 projects in time (and purchasing their yarn from the store) will receive a free skein of yarn at the end of camp.  I had a blast with this last year and decided to join again.

My first Camp Loopy project for this summer is the Billowy Delight scarf which I am knitting in the Alpaca with a Twist Fino laceweight yarn in the Duchess Blue colorway.  I love the way this is knitting on the bias:
Other than the start of Camp Loopy, I have several new acquisitions to share with you.  I have a new antique spinning wheel!  My friend, Deb, has a business where she organizes estate sales.  She has been on the lookout for a spinning wheel for me, for some time.  I knew next to nothing about antique wheels- I still don't know enough; however, she told me about a family with a wheel to sell.  Long story short, I purchased the wheel but it was not in usable form.  My husband and I took it to the master craftsman at Woolgatherer's in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for repairs.  Thanks to Hans, I have a beautiful, working antique wheel: 

As you can see, I have been spinning on this single treadle, saxony style wheel.  It took a little getting used to at first, but it works very well.  The family from whom we purchased the wheel thought it came over from Germany.  Hans located a few wormwood holes and, along with the general design, confirmed that it is of European origin.  This wheel was handcrafted and has no markings.  There is no telling how old it may actually be!  I plan to hand it down to my children- it will go to the one who learns to spin.....


 In case you are wondering, am spinning Corriedale Fiber from Into the Whirled, colorway Irohamomigi.  I have spun about 2 oz onto the first bobbin.  I am going for a fractal spun 2ply in a DK weight.  This fiber was gifted to me by my Stockinette Zombie Retreat Swap partner, who is Wenmig on Ravelry.  I am hoping to have this completed by June 20th when I head to Rochester for a weekend of knitting, fun and new fiber friends!



My other recent acquisitions for this month are included in the picture, below.  Starting on the top left with the 20 ounce bag of fiber from Spunky Eclectic in Falkland colorway is Glacial.  I am hoping to spin a sweater from that!  On the bottom left you will find more Into the Whirled fiber, a merino/silk blend in the Lavinia colorway.  This is for the Knitabulls ITW Downton Abbey SAL. The final 3 bags of fiber in the picture are all from Southern Cross Fibers.  I have 2 bags of Shetland in Tiger's Eye and 1 bag in Moss Gathering.  The yarn is Wollmeise in the 100% merino.  These are from a grab bag I ordered. 
Everyone have a great week and keep your knitting fantasy well fed and growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment